Pages

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Wine Bottle Holder


While touring one of California's vineyards I saw in one shop a wine bottle displayed in a special way.  I was fascinated by it, took a couple of photos and decided I'll try to make a woodworking project out of it.  It was a little complicated than I thought, although the idea of  the center of gravity is simple enough.  After a few trial and error on scrap wood I got the correct angle of the hole so the bottle would balance with the holder just right.  The final project was made with red cedar.  Key is for the center of gravity of the holder and bottle to fall within the "footprint" of the holder on the flat surface.




Key to how this works is the angle of the hole for the neck bottle, the angle of the base and, of course, the length of the holder.  So, I had to experiment first and best way was to do it first with scrap wood.







With the drill set up horizontally, and the table tilted at a specific angle, makes the drilling an easy operstion.





I went beyond the single to double bottle holder.  Obviously one can go to triple or more holders, except that it will become way too unwieldy.





No comments:

Post a Comment